CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ignorance is Apparently Bliss

So...I just went to a social gathering for a group that I am kinda getting involved with on campus. It is similar to Habitat for Humanity, kinda like a spin off. I haven't gotten to do a lot of things with the groups, because of conflict of schedule and lack of opportunities for the group to help with. 

I thought it was interesting that they had a social night, and I thought it would be a good chance to meet other people that liked helping others in need. My night did not go as well as planned. 

There was a low turn out, and that sucks. It is a new group so it is still in the up and running stages, but it already has a high member volume. Why do more people not show up? I will admit it took me a long time to learn that if I commit to something I need to follow through.... my mother tried her hardest to instill that in me from the start. But I truly feel that too many people drop that ball now-a-days. They had a sign up sheet go around in meetings, about 25+ signed up saying they would come. About 10 people came(including the 4 group leaders). I think people take for granted the time and effort people put in to events like this. It is amazing people still try.

Also....while there I learned about a opportunity to volunteer with Special Olympics which are coming to our campus in April. I am super excited. While talking to some people a heard one of the girls say " That is cool, but retarded people and down syndrome people freak me out." 
......really!!! really!!!...... can comments like that not be kept to ourselves. They are people too, and I just feel that you belittle yourself when you show how little you understand about other people.

Again talking in conversation, same said girl insulted a friend of mine when asking her why she was thinking about changing her major to social work ( which happens to be my major). I say insulted her because the question was posed like this:

"Why would you go from up here(hold right hand up high) to down here( hold left hand extremely lower)?"

I then ask "What is wrong with social work"

To which she replies  " It is just cha-ching to blah"

My degree is not BLAH!!!
 
At this point I wanted to scream. I had to really hold back the verbal diarrhea that was churning in my mind. So many things that could be said, but probably so little that would be understood by someone who doesn't have the slightest clue on how to  work for a degree that you have discovered to be your calling, no matter the pay. 

Again later in the evening she let her ignorance show by stating she doesn't know why anyone would get an associate nursing degree. Of course she doesn't know..... because ignorance is bliss.  

1 thoughts to despense:

Sarah said...

i love you meg!!! hilarious

i'm always frustrated by people who flake out too. do people realize they are telling a lie when they say they are going to do something and then don't do it-- not saying i'm perfect here, but i'm with you i think people have progressively gotten worse about not sticking to their word.