CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Group Work

I realize that group work is a part of life,schools, and in the workplace.... but let me go ahead and state:


I DON'T LIKE IT!

In life we work with friends, because they share the same values and already know how what your strengths are and is doesn't really feel like you are working on something, more like you are on a crazy adventure with someone you have fun with. 

At work, you may not like the people you are stuck with but you are both working toward a common goal, so divide and conquer may work because no one wants to get fired. 

At school is seems like all of this logic is thrown out the window. I hate being forced to work with complete strangers on a project/paper that is already difficult.  I have now been in college for 4 semesters and had to deal with some sort of group work at least once a semester. The group always consist of 
- leader/ worker/writer-person who actually does project
- the space head/follower/ starer of desk -this person usually does help a little with the work load)
- idiot/jerk/ pothead-- this person usually is vocal about not contributing in anyway, or leaves before discussion begins
- disappearing act/ overly ambitious one/ fly by the seat of their pants/loud one/ antagonist-- this person is usually a combination of any of the previous mentioned things. They love to argue the ideas presented, claimed they are going to do so much for the project but seem to disappear when work needs to be done and show up due day and make entire group look stupid by scrambling words together. 

now sometimes groups are lucky and work wonderful, I guess I just haven't been that lucky. So I will continue to do my work ( the groups work) so I can ensure my good grades, so I can graduate and get the raises they hope for!

This is what I/we are working on now:

English1302: The class was divided in between 3 groups. Group 1: discuss the negative aspects of video games on kids. Group 2: opposite of group 1. Group 3: write a solution for both sides including points given by both sides.  

I am in group 3, and the day that groups were assigned I already knew I would hate this assignment. I am in a group of 5, and the debate was given today, so my group has until tomorrow evening to meet and write a response. Yeah, everyone is busy!!!! BUSY!!!umm I'm sorry I was aiming for a A in this class.I am so glad everyone could take time out of their schedule for school!!! So we are trying to do email meetings while everyone writes something and I try to make sense out of it all. Plus I seriously think I have a stoner in my group because he talks with drawn out words and abnormally long pauses in between each word. This is his stance: "Video games are not bad, I play video games all the time, and look at me I turned out fine."

ummm. I would beg to differ. 

So while I try not to stress because no one has emailed me back yet, and try not to curse the person that thought group work in school was a brilliant idea to help us learn how to teamwork, I will listen to music and write the paper anyway. 

0 thoughts to despense: