CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sleep-- Friend and/or Foe

So NEVER in my life have I had trouble sleeping, except for maybe the occasional night before something exciting. Any one who really knows me can vouch for my ability to sleep for 10-12 hours easily, no sweat. Now most people can average a 5-7 hour night and function well the next day-- I run best on 8-9 hours of sleep. I believe this comes from my father's side of the gene pool.  My grandmother always slept in, and my father had the superpower of sleep as well. I remember hearing-- "quiet, your father is asleep" OFTEN


BUT.. I have lost my powers. For the past week and a half sleep has left me and found a new home somewhere.  I the other night I stared at my wall, ceiling, floor, t.v., magazines, books, iPhone.. and anything else I could stare at until 4:30 am!!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! one night may have been okay enough to recover from but I have been wide awake in the the wee hours for a couple of nights. 

SO... Wednesday I decided to go get some Unisom, to help me kick back into a regular sleep schedule. My plan was to go to sleep early with help, wake up refreshed and go to sleep Thursday night unaided.  The first half worked well.  Wednesday night I fell asleep at 11:00 after taking one Unisom and woke up at 7:00 am BEFORE my alarm!!! it was great,, I felt more productive all day and even got a lot of studying done. So last night, I clean up, wash my face and lay in the bed at 10:30, got comfy, closed my eyes..... and ...... realized I was NOT sleepy.  So I turned on my fan read a little bit and tried again.  By midnight I felt hopeless. Took another pill, and drifted off to neverland a little bit bore 1am.  Woke up this morning a little after 9am ( class was at 11:00). 

I do not want to rely on pills, and not sure why I developing insomnia.  I read some stuff online to help the sleeping impaired this is what I found:

1. go to sleep at the same time every night
2. have a calming environment.
3. make the bedroom a place for only sleep 
4. keep noise level down

Ummmmm DORM LIFE.... so I have done these things to help

1. buy a clip on fan
2. put in head phones and listen to enya
3. try to study in places other than my room

I  will admit it is weird sleeping in a room with someone I barley know, but she is a quiet person,and quiet sleeper. 

Any other suggestions..... anyone else who survived dorm life and had a similar problem??? I hope that with time and a schedule I follow things will get better.  

1 thoughts to despense:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have a dorm room experience but I do study and sleep and play all in my little room at my house and sometimes I can't get my mind to shut down. The problems with lack of sleep that I have tend to come from dodging the boy toy who has a tendency to crowd me. So I'm sorry you can't sleep but I hope you can soon. Muah ! I miss you.