CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hurrincane Ike Reception


So I have been meaning to post this, but due to not liking the sound of my voice so  I have hesitated.
 This video is what Janie took at the reception for the Hurricane Ike efforts of my class. 
My wonderful teacher asked my Death and Dying class to help in the evacuees and victims. 
My class was more than excited to help, I was a little hesitant. I thought that with everything going on, and not knowing about nursing school (at the time) I wouldn't be able to devote a lot of time. 
By the time our hurricane efforts where underway I had took charge.
I started an email group for our class to stay organized, helped organize the college officials to get permission to ask for donations at the college, include the community, speak to classes, and help with shipment to Saint Vincent de Paul( the organization we worked with). 
I felt like I could have done more, but it was nice to be a part of something so big. 
All in all our efforts help gain donations of food, hygiene products, blankets, clothes, baby needs, and other needs. We received enough donations to equal a monetary sum of over $50,000. 
It was great helping, and this project just made me feel right about my decision to become a social worker. 


1 thoughts to despense:

Tony said...

Congratulations on your efforts, Meg! I'm sure it made a big difference for the survivors down there.